Saturday 1 March 2014

Saving Mr Banks: A Review

This evening was spent with the lovely girls that I live with watching 'Saving Mr Bank'. I understand I may be a few months behind some other blog posts by people who may have already seen this film, however I feel my opinion and point of view are still valid and should be shared.

I have read a lot of reviews about this film on social media sites such as Twitter, but also on other blogs and online reviews by journalists. I have seen very few negative comments about this creation, possibly none if I can cast my mind back far enough but this does not surprise me now that I have seen it for myself. I know that when it comes down to it, a lot of internet sites may hide negative feedback about a film, however with this particular film, I can see that this has not been the case. Saving Mr Banks is a masterpiece.

Marry Poppins is a favourite film of mine, if not the only favourite of mine. I was born in the early 1990's so when I tell people this they are shocked that I even know the name. But my parents brought my sister and myself up with good taste in music and films. However, from a young age to now, 20 years of age, I have never known the true meaning behind Mary Poppins. For me it was an incredible film about two children who were lucky enough to get a 'nanny' to take care of them and take them on adventures, exploring their creativity and happiness. However, after watching Saving Mr Banks tonight, I can see that it is so much more. I always knew it was based on the book PL Travers wrote however I never knew that the book in question was based on her childhood. It fascinates me deeply.

With the depth that this film goes into and the stories behind the story itself shocks and amazes me all at the same time. There are so many hidden messages within Mary Poppins that I quite possibly never noticed and with good reason too - it was almost impossible to notice until you hear the back story. Which I and may others have now.

The way in which the film has been created, with all of its characters and the storyline in general, shows how truly amazing the world of cinema is. The creative minds that helped to create this masterpiece are of sheer brilliance and should be so proud of their achievement. Not only do they tell the story of PL Travers and how Mary Poppins came to life, they pull on every single heart string available within their audience. There were parts of the film that made me laugh, yet others made me cry, some even made me angry. But most of all I felt some sense of understanding. The way in which Travers was protective over Mary Poppins and how she saw her as family was completely understandable to me. When something is your life and you've created it based on your personal experiences, it can be hard to let go and pass it on to someone else. But for Travers letting go enabled her to see light - it helped her leave go of something that was holding her back and enabled her to move forward with her work, and herself. She allowed herself to open up to a new and exciting world, and it allowed her to see the positive out of the negative.

It was certainly inspirational to see how a favourite film of mine came about and how it was created and by who it was created also. To be allowed to almost step into the past and open my imagination up was remarkable. But most importantly, having something that is so personal to someone, shared with you is almost unimaginable. Being given that sense of a personal relationship with Travers and her history and family life as a child is something that one could not forget in a hurry. But having that shown through a film which is so creative and diverse, in a sense, is truly remarkable and unforgettable. I never knew the depths to which Mary Poppins as a film has until now. And I would not have known if I had not seen Saving Mr Banks or if it had not been made.

With emotions running high throughout and the intensity of the storyline, I shall not forget the experience in a hurry and neither should you.


So if you have never seen Saving Mr Banks, please do watch it with enthusiasm. It is a masterpiece that deserves a thousand awards.

No comments:

Post a Comment